What is this project going to accomplish?
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) has enacted the Long-Term 2 Enhanced Surface Water Treatment Rule (LT2). The rule places more stringent requirements for the removal or inactivation of the waterborne pathogen Cryptosporidium. To meet this standard, UV disinfection will replace the existing disinfection process (ozonation) and other upgrades will be made to provide greater system reliability. The project is now in the testing phase of the UV disinfection system. During the testing phase, the City will be on well water. The testing phase is estimated to be completed by the end of April 2019. Before the new system is placed in operation for public consumption, the City must receive approval from the Department of Health. The project is estimated to be substantially completed by July 2019.
Other Project Documents:
- City Safety Plan
- Risk Management Plan Program
- 2013 Drinking Water State Revolving Fund
- 2015 Drinking Water State Revolving Fund
- City of Walla Walla Water System
- La Ciudad De Walla Walla El Sistema De Agua
- August 10, 2015 City Council Worksession Presentation
- August 10, 2015 Water/Wastewater Advisory Committee Recommendation Letter